Celebrate the Fourth of July with this delicious BBQ Recipe, and the Release of our 2014 Gamba Estate Old Vine Zinfandel!
Sherry’s 4th of July Roasted Leg of Lamb with Fresh Cilantro Mint Pesto Marinated Barbecued Lamb
- 1 leg of lamb, bone in (about 6 to 7 pounds)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
Combine all in sealable plastic bag. Add lamb and seal bag, pressing out air. Turn bag to coat lamb, then put bag in a shallow baking pan and marinate, chilled, turning bag over occasionally, at least 8 hours.
Cilantro Mint Pesto
- 1 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (or more) extra-virgin oil
Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend coarsely, or by hand with a mortar and pestle.
Bring lamb to room temperature, about 1 hour, before grilling. Prepare grill for cooking over direct heat with medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas). Remove lamb from marinade (discard marinade).
Grill on a lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using gas grill, turning over occasionally and, if necessary, moving around on grill to avoid flare-ups, until thermometer registers 125 to 128°F, 8 to 14 minutes total for medium-rare.
Transfer lamb to a cutting board. Let lamb stand, loosely covered with foil, 20 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise to 135°F while meat stands.) Cut across the grain into slices. Top with cilantro mint pesto.